Sailing Log June 19, 2026

Pugwash, NS to Charlottetown, PEI
Distance: 35nm
Time: 6hrs
Motoring: 2hrs
Our departure was mid ebbing tide with winds pushing us off the dock. Leaving was a lot easier then arriving. Made it through the channel and once out into the straight, we put up sails and were on a broad reach heading straight for Charlottetown. Winds were 10 to 12 knots. We decided to pole out the genoa to sail wing on wing and were going at a steady 6 knots. Decided to try putting out the staysail. With it out we got another .5 knot of speed.
We were about 2 hrs away when the winds died down to 4 knots and less. Motored the rest of the way in.
Got fuel at The Charlottetown Yacht Club. Put in just over 400L for a total cost of $985. With the winds pushing against the dock, we decided to dock port side with the bow facing out. As we arrived, we turned 180 degrees and let the wind gently push us into the dock, about 1ft. Leaving was a different story as the fuel dock was a plastic floating dock we were not sure if springing off would work. The staff said they would help push us off, which they did and got us free and clear.
Our next docking was to be at Seaport but the The Charlottetown Marina decided we were going to dock us at Peakes Quay. As we approached we saw that it was going to be a tight fit and even questioned them if we would be able to fit. They assured us we would and advised that they would help us get us out as well. We made it through the floating breakers and docked into what seemed an impossible approach with no drama.
We can only hope that the same can be said with our departure.




Comments